Are you struggling with a mental illness condition, attend therapy sessions on a regular basis or take medications to calm your symptoms? While attending therapy sessions and taking medications are both great treatment options, it’s also important to have a healthy lifestyle when coping with your mental illness conditions.
Here’s some great ways to improve your lifestyle if you are struggling with mental illness:
• Exercise – Exercise frequently offers a chance to spend some time outside which can, in its own right, improve your mood.
• Diet – Your diet directly affects your physical health, and your physical health can undermine your mental health. Choose healthy food options, such as fresh fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains, and healthy fats.
• Physical Health – If you struggle with physical health conditions, you’re at an increased risk of mental health problems so prompt medical care for physical issues is always a wise choice.
• Meditation and Other Relaxation Techniques – If you practice meditation, deep breathing or focus on mindfulness for 20 to 30 minutes each day, you can steadily improve your ability to tolerate frustration, control your temper, and manage anxiety.
• Healthy Sleep – Most sleep experts recommend between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night, but the real key to success is a regular sleep schedule.
There’s no substitute for good mental health care when you’re struggling with behavioral health issues. Keep in mind that your lifestyle really does affect how you feel, and you can become your own best mental health ally by taking the first step toward a healthy lifestyle.