Mindfulness is defined as a type of meditation that helps you live your life more peacefully. To take it a step further, mindfulness is also an approach to mental health and well-being that involves using the senses to pay attention to what’s happening around you and inside you.
Here’s some benefits of practicing mindfulness:
• Keep your mind occupied with what’s real, leaving less room for anxious, racing thoughts and negative beliefs.
• Helps you learn about your body’s unique response to stress and anxiety.
• Allows you to listen to your body and make a physical connection.
• Shows you where to focus your breathing and relaxation efforts.
Here’s some important tips when practicing mindfulness:
• Find a quiet place with no distractions.
• Get comfortable by sitting or lying down.
• Breathe in slowly, through your nose and listen to the air moving into your body.
• Feel the sensation in your lungs, your diaphragm and your entire chest cavity.
Remember, practicing mindfulness helps connect your mind and body in a way that allows you to communicate with yourself in the present moment as well as teaches you to live in the world more peacefully.