Smoking is bad for your health, there’s no way around that fact. Smoking harms nearly every organ in your body, but yet people still smoke. Did you know that cigarette smoking causes 87 percent of lung cancer deaths in the United States alone? Also, smoking can be a very expensive and addictive habit to have. Unfortunately, it is very difficult for most people to quit smoking on their own. Often times there are cravings that exist within that seem to overcome your will to succeed.
Here’s some tips to help you quit smoking and to overcome the cravings:
• Tip 1: Make a plan to quit smoking and remember your reason(s) for quitting (my health, my family, to save money, to breathe better)
• Tip 2: Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day
• Tip 3: Spend time exercising and stretching throughout the day
• Tip 4: Meditate and practice breathing techniques every day
• Tip 5: Create new and healthy daily rituals (visit a café, walk at a park, do gardening, talk to a friend, finding a hobby, reading, writing)
• Tip 6: Find a positive support system (family, friends, co-workers, health professional)
• Tip 7: Identify your triggers, such as stress, eating, parties then make plans to avoid the trigger situations
You’ve made a healthy decision to quit smoking, but it’s important to be aware of the challenges you may encounter during your transition to overcome the cravings. Follow these tips to enjoy a smoke-free life.