Whether you donate money or time, giving back and volunteering is beneficial for both you and the recipients. Besides feeling good about yourself for doing something for others, giving back is also good for your physical health, increasing self-esteem, and improving personal empowerment as well. Once you see the difference you can make in another person’s life, your own problems can seem smaller and more manageable.
Here’s some other helpful reasons to volunteer in your spare time:
• To develop new skills. Gaining skills, knowledge and expertise can be added to your resume and could result in a better paying job in the future.
• Make social connections. Volunteering can relieve the feeling of loneliness and boredom as well as help you fill empty hours in the day.
• Give back to your community. Doing something for the community you live in and returning the favor to those who have helped you are strong motivators.
• Develop and grow as a person. Volunteering is an excellent way to explore your likes and dislikes.
• Gain a new perspective. Volunteering can offer you a new perspective on life.
• Boost your self-esteem. Helping others makes you feel good about yourself.
Research has shown that the old adage, “it’s better to give than to receive” is true after all. Seeing people who are worse off than you are, yet still hanging in there, can help you see your life in a whole new light. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s start planning your next volunteer project today!
Copyright 2012,2013,2014 On Topic Media PTY LTD. ABN 18113479226.