Mindfulness is defined as a type of meditation that helps you live your life more peacefully. To take it a step further, mindfulness is also an approach to mental health and well-being that involves using the senses to pay attention to what’s happening around you and inside you.
Here’s some benefits of practicing mindfulness:
• Keep your mind occupied with what’s real, leaving less room for anxious, racing thoughts and negative beliefs.
• Helps you learn about your body’s unique response to stress and anxiety.
• Allows you to listen to your body and make a physical connection.
• Shows you where to focus your breathing and relaxation efforts.
Here’s some important tips when practicing mindfulness:
• Find a quiet place with no distractions.
• Get comfortable by sitting or lying down.
• Breathe in slowly, through your nose and listen to the air moving into your body.
• Feel the sensation in your lungs, your diaphragm and your entire chest cavity.
Remember, practicing mindfulness helps connect your mind and body in a way that allows you to communicate with yourself in the present moment as well as teaches you to live in the world more peacefully.
Copyright 2012,2013,2014 On Topic Media PTY LTD. ABN 18113479226.