Typical vacation and travel planning involves a lot of important details, such as choosing the right hotel, making flight arrangements, and purchasing tickets for events. While you may only be focused on the trip itself, it’s also important to prepare your home for your time away.
Here are some ways to prepare your home before you go on vacation:
• Make arrangements for pets, plants and mail. Remember to contact the U.S. Postal Service if you do not have anyone available to pick up your mail.
• Take advance care of family members you are leaving behind. Leave detailed instructions with your caregiver for everything from snack preferences to bedtime routines to minimize disruptions.
• Tie up loose ends at work and setup an away message for your e-mail and voicemail, giving your return date. Give a copy of important files to your assigned backup.
• Send out an itinerary and instructions for reaching you. Let your family know where you will be at all times. Provide flight numbers, hotel names, addresses, and a schedule of your activities.
• Set up payment for bills that are due while you’re away.
• Clean out the refrigerator and toss out leftovers as well as any items that will expire before you return.
• Purchase timers for three or four lights throughout the house and set them to go off at various intervals. This will help the house look lived in while you’re away. Also, make arrangements for your lawn to be mowed as well.
Even though there are many trip specific details that you must properly plan ahead for, keep these items handy so you can properly prepare your home for your next scheduled vacation as well.