For most people, figuring out how to fill the time in between jobs effectively can be a real challenge. Believe it or not, it’s really in your best interest to try to structure and make the most of this down time for your long-term happiness.
Here’s some strategies to help you use time wisely in between jobs:
1. Build and maintain your network – These days many people obtain job opportunities from personal and professional contacts within their network. Building and maintaining your network contacts is an invaluable use of your time.
2. Look for contract/freelance work – Many companies utilize contract and freelance staff for a wide range of projects. Consider seeking out opportunities in your field or in an area that fits your background and skill set.
3. Take a class – Keep your mind and skills sharp by continuing your education. You can pursue a class in your professional field or you can take a class in an area that interests you. Either way, your time will be well spent learning something new.
4. Volunteer – When you volunteer you will be supporting a worthy cause and keeping yourself active in the community. It is possible to learn some new skills or find some new interests that will help reshape your career aspirations.
5. Create a backup plan – Take some time to research alternate fields that interest you or where your skills may be easily transferable.
Just because you’re in between jobs right now doesn’t mean that your time can’t be well spent. Use these strategies to make sure you’re using this time to your advantage. Good luck with your new job opportunity!