Taking detailed notes in school requires students to evaluate, organize and summarize information. Believe it or not, note taking is a key survival skill that every student must learn in order to succeed in his or her educational endeavors.
Here’s the best ways to take detailed notes:
• Start a new page for each new class each day and write the date
• Leave space between topics or ideas so you can scan your notes more easily
• Write down key words and concepts, not sentences
• Develop your own shorthand or system of abbreviations
• Listen for word clues from the teacher
• Review notes after class to make sure they’re accurate and complete
• Ask questions if you don’t understand something or need more clarity
Students need to develop the ability to not only take detailed notes in class, but also taking notes from daily reading assignments and research materials. Reference this article when working with your students or share it with others who may benefit. Remember, practice makes perfect.