Encouragement is to a relationship as confetti is to a party. Both are light, refreshing, and lots of fun. Simply put, it’s cheer you can throw someone’s way to help brighten up their day. Encouragement can be even deeper than that. Follow me if you will...
Encouragement is the assurance you are right there next to the person standing side by side and supporting them every step of the way. Yes, the time it takes for us to gather little pieces of love, grace, strength, and hope is well worth it...when you see what happens as you shower those gifts on someone else.
But did you know that as we encourage others, God encourages us? Yes, the two are interwoven. In other words, when we help a friend carry his or her broken heart, our own heart feels a lot lighter through the process.
Here are some ways to express encouragement to others throughout this journey called life:
• Smile to people throughout your day.
• Give a positive compliment to someone.
• Buy your spouse some flowers or a small token of love.
• Give someone a nice friendly hug just because.
• Write your friend or family member a letter.
• Invite your friend to a meal just because.
• Offer to help your neighbor or friend with a project.
• Volunteer at a local homeless shelter or child’s school.
• Make some donations to a local charity.
• Leave a positive note in your child’s lunch box or folder.
You know this list could go on and on. So, what do you say? Let’s be creative and throw some encouragement around today!