If you truly want to respect yourself, then you have to accept yourself, and work on becoming the person you always dreamed of becoming. Take steps to know how to feel happy with who you are and make the world treat you as you deserve to be treated.
1. Forgive Yourself – If you want to respect yourself, then you have to be able to forgive yourself for things you’ve done in the past that you’re not proud of. Be sure to admit what you did was wrong, apologize to others if necessary, and work on moving forward. Know you’re human. People make mistakes. Remember, making mistakes is the way we learn, so accept them and forgive yourself.
2. Accept Yourself – Be comfortable in your own skin, learning to love and accept the person that you are. This doesn’t mean you have to think that you’re perfect, but you have to learn to embrace yourself. Start loving the person you are right now in the present.
3. Work on Building Your Confidence – Achieving self-respect is difficult if you’re not happy with who you are, how you look, or what you’re doing. Building true confidence takes a lot of work, but doing a few simple things, such as smiling more, positive thinking, having good posture, every day, can start you on your way.
4. Maintain a Positive Attitude – A positive attitude can make or break your success in life, as well as your thoughts about who you are. Even if things aren’t going your way, be confident about the fact that something good is bound to happen eventually.
5. Learn to Handle Criticism – To have self-respect, you have to be aware of the person you really are. If someone gives you helpful and constructive feedback, evaluate what they’re telling you and use the feedback for self-improvement.
Simply put, developing a strong sense of self-respect can help you fulfill your potential, develop healthy relationships, and make everyone around you see you as a person who is worthy of respect.