Have you ever noticed how you can hold on to past mistakes long after they occurred in your life? Letís be honest. Some people hold on to things for years!
Here are some steps you can take toward forgiving yourself and letting go of the past:
1. Realize that the past is the past. It is important to realize that you cannot undo the past because the past is already done. Open yourself up to more acceptance which can lead to the emotional healing you are striving for.
2. Create a ďre-do.Ē Write down how you would have done things differently if you could go back and do it again. In doing so, you affirm that you not only learned from your past mistake, but that if you had the skills you have now, back then, you would have done things differently.
3. Start acting in accordance with your morals and values. Start replacing the negative behavior and thoughts with more appropriate ones that are aligned with your morals and values. This will not only boost your self-esteem, but it will also give you a sense of pride and accomplishment.
4. Turn the page. You must accept that the past has happened and youíve done everything in your power to mend past mistakes. Now, it is time to turn the page and accept those events as part of your personal journey. Pure acceptance of those experiences allows you to move on and truly forgive yourself.
5. Move toward self-love. It is important to think kindly of yourself and to show yourself some compassion. Speak to yourself with love, kindness, and put yourself as a priority. Most importantly, surround yourself with positive and supportive people.
Remember, forgiveness is a process. It is important to be realistic throughout the process. This does not happen overnight and the process will be different for everyone. But no matter how long it takes, thereís hope and light at the end of the tunnel. You are more than your past mistakes so wake up every morning and tell yourself ďI CAN FORGIVE MYSELF!Ē