So, have you enjoyed your cup of coffee or tea today? Coffee and tea has some positive health benefits, such as lower risk of stroke, cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.
Here are some healthier ways to flavor coffee:
• Flavor it – Create your own creamer by whipping up a naturally sweet vanilla mixture with no added sugar. Combine ¼ cup skim milk and a few drops of vanilla extract. Microwave about 20 seconds, then pour into coffee.
• Boost it – Sprinkle some cocoa powder and a dash of cinnamon into your black coffee. Then, top with a small squirt of whipped cream. Your cup of coffee gains an indulgent feel for just 15 calories.
• Save it – Instead of tossing your old coffee, pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it. Add a few cubes to your next cup of cold coffee to create iced coffee that won't be watered down. You can even add spices like nutmeg before freezing for extra zing.
• Blend it – Toss brewed coffee, a splash of skim milk, a small squirt of chocolate syrup, and a handful of ice into a blender. You’ll be sipping about 70 calories of blended goodness.
Here are some healthier ways to flavor tea:
• Add some Vitamin C – Squeeze lemon juice into hot water, then add the tea bag. The vitamin C helps protect the healthy polyphenols.
• Add some Mint – Brew mint tea and keep it in the fridge for hint of mint-flavored water.
• Slim down your Chai – Brew black tea and pour in skim milk instead of whole. Add richness with spices like cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg to taste.
Don’t forget to use some of these creative ways to reduce your calories and sugar intake while still enjoying your coffee or tea.