Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest in daily activities. However, the symptoms of depression arenít as obvious to some people as feeling hopeless or suicidal.
Here are five natural mood boosters that can help in the treatment of mild or moderate depression:
1. Move it Ė Donít sit still. Letís get moving. Being active boosts brain derived neurotrophic factor which is a natural chemical that makes your brain more resilient.
2. Get more sleep Ė Put those phones down and turn off the television at night. Did you know insomnia and depression reinforce each other? Unfortunately, depression makes it hard to sleep so itís important to find techniques that helps you to relax like listening to soft music, take a warm bath, read a positive book, or drink some hot tea.
3. Eat fresh food Ė Eat fresh and healthy food to improve depression symptoms. After all, you are what you eat so choose fruits, veggies, lean meats, and fiber enriched foods.
4. Set tiny goals Ė A depressed brain resists making decisions, but any choice boosts the brainís reward system so start small by choosing a new book to read.
5. Use your body Ė To gain more control of your body and depression, you may want to use biofeedback therapy. Biofeedback therapy promotes relaxation by helping you practice breathing techniques or meditation which can help relieve stress and depression. The idea behind biofeedback therapy is that by harnessing the power of your mind and becoming aware of what's going on inside your body, you can gain more control over your health.
Instead of taking the sad and depressed route, reflect on these natural mood boosters that can help you rise above depression.