Let’s face it, it would be so much easier if the whole family chipped in and helped with household chores. I know you’re probably thinking only in a perfect world, right?
Here’s some creative ways to include your whole family in household chores:
• Tip 1 – Create safe spaces – Whether it is at the kitchen table or in the game room, create safe spaces for your whole family to feel free to take healthy risks and push themselves out of their comfort zones without feeling judged. For example, during dinner time or right before game night, ask everyone to share a small act of courage which is a moment when he or she stepped up to help out or empower someone else.
• Tip 2 – Ensure equality and fairness – Make sure you are including everyone in family discussions, such as family vacations or family outings. Don’t be afraid to ask your children for their input. This instills a sense of ownership over the home and its operation.
• Tip 3 – Divide household chores – No one family member should feel burdened down with doing everything around the house. Assign the household chores to each family member and keep in mind that you are giving children age appropriated duties.
• Tip 4 – Provide praise and appreciate one another – Be sure not to take your family members for granted. Offer praise and show them that you appreciate their effort with helping out around the house.
• Tip 5 – Create and implement chore charts/lists – Create and use chore charts/lists as a visual reminder for family members, especially children. Then, post it in a central location like on the refrigerator.
Whether you are married with 2 children or have no children, it is important to share household chores with the whole family. This process not only encourages team work, but it also teaches children how to be responsible.