Recycling is important for making the environment a cleaner place, conserving materials, saving energy and reducing the amount of garbage in landfills. One of the most important benefits of recycling is the impact it has on the Earth. Recycling different materials helps the environment by reducing the use of natural resources.
Here’s some creative ways to recycle:
• Cut back on using plastic products. For example, bring your own tote bag when shopping, eat less processed foods so there’s less packaging waste and travel with reusable water bottle.
• Shop vintage. Think about how much clothing gets thrown away. Donate clothes to local homeless shelters and churches. When ever possible, purchase clothing from secondhand stores in your area. If you do this, you’re not only recycling, but you’re saving money too.
• Choose organic. When shopping, look for trusted organic emblems. On food, the USDA Organic emblem which means a product has met federal standards.
• Compost on your counter. You can leave green waste from your garden on the ground like mulch or check with your local municipality to find out what kinds of composting programs are available in your area.
• Eat more plants. Even if you are not a vegetarian, eating just one vegetarian meal per week can help our nation’s recycling efforts.
Since landfills are filled primarily with non-biodegradable garbage that takes an extended period of time to decompose, take time to recycle in and outside of your home. You will not only reduce the amount of garbage in landfills, but you will be a part of positive change within your community.