I don’t know about you, but when my mom got sick, it was very hard for me to choose someone outside of our family to care for her, so I decided to stop working to be her caregiver. Making this important decision and opening your home to a new person who will be your loved one’s caregiver can stir some major concern, emotions and questions, such as how do you know if this person is the right fit?
Here’s some major common traits to look for when choosing a caregiver:
• Show sound judgment and confident care
• Show initiative and quick response
• Have enthusiasm for the work they do and for those in their care
• Make your home a place of warmth and hope
• Look at the whole picture
• Take control when needed
• Great communicators
Remember, exceptional caregivers love what they do, and it shows from the way they communicate with people to how they care for their patients. Keep these common caregiver traits in mind if you need to make this decision in the near future.